Splendor in the glass! A fabulous dessert that will easily steal the show. Who can resist such an appealing treat that promises sweet delight in every bite?
2 pint baskets California strawberries, washed and hulled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups water - divided use
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (3.5-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups whipping or heavy cream, whipped
1 (12-ounce) ready-made pound cake, cubed
Mint leaves (optional)
- Slice berries, reserving 6 for garnish. Place 1 cup of the sliced berries in saucepan with sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Cook 3 minutes; remove from heat. Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Stir into strawberry mixture. Cook and stir until thick (about 2 minutes). Add lemon juice. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and remaining 1 1/2 cups cold water in a bowl. Add instant vanilla pudding mix and beat well. Chill for 5 minutes.
- Cut pound cake into bite-size cubes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream until stiff. Fold into the pudding mixture.
- Layer pudding, pound cake, sliced strawberries, and strawberry mixture. Repeat the layers; garnish with reserved strawberries and mint leaves.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: Can also be prepared using stemmed glasses or individual glass serving dishes.
Photograph provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved.