Sumptuous Strawberry Shortcake
Sumptuous sugar-topped shortcakes, split and filled with sweetened sliced strawberries and copious amounts of whipped cream.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs, separated
Additional granulated sugar
2 pint baskets California Strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Spray baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In another bowl blend milk and egg yolks with fork; stir into flour mixture make a soft dough. Divide dough into 6 portions; form into balls.
- Moisten fingers with egg whites and pat balls out on baking sheet to 3-inch circles, spacing apart. Brush cakes with egg whites. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove to rack; cool.
- Sweeten strawberries to taste.
- Halve cakes horizontally. On plates, fill and garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.