Sweet Potato Flan 1
Smooth and delicous, sweet potato flan complete with the luscious layer of caramel.
2 medium-size sweet potatoes*
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cups milk
10 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400°F (205°C) for 1 hour or until tender; cool to touch. Peel and mash; reserve 1 cup mashed sweet potato.
- Sprinkle sugar in a 10-inch round cake pan. Place over medium heat, and cook, shaking pan constantly, until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown. Remove from heat; set aside. (Mixture may crack slightly as it cools.)
- Process 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1 can condensed milk, and half of next 6 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides; pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure; whisk until combined.
- Pour mixture over caramelized sugar; cover with aluminum foil, and place in a large shallow pan. Pour hot water into larger pan to a depth of 1/2-inch.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove pan from water, and uncover; run a knife around edge of pan to loosen and prevent flan from cracking. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes; cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Run a knife around edge of flan again to loosen; invert onto a serving plate.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*1 cup canned mashed sweet potatoes may be substituted.