Sweet and Savory Empanadas
Mexican-style pastry turnovers filled with pineapple, raisins, shredded Monterey Jack cheese and toasted walnuts.
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust rounds
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese for accompaniment, as needed (optional)
Honey for drizzling, as needed (optional)
- Unfold both pie crust rounds on baking sheet.
- Combine pineapple, raisins, Monterey Jack cheese, walnuts and cinnamon; mix lightly.
- Spoon half of mixture onto half of one pie crust round within 1/2 inch of edge. Fold pastry over filling, sealing along edge. Empanada will now be shaped like a half-circle. Repeat with second pie crust round and remaining filling. Cut three small slits in top of each half-circle.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- To serve, cut each empanada into 6 wedges. Serve topped with Mascarpone cheese drizzled with honey, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.