The Lisa Marie
Elvis had his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches—Lisa Marie has taken the sandwich to a whole new taste dimension by adding bacon, cheese and chocolate sauce. (We're guessing the real Lisa Marie knows nothing about this sandwich...but hey, it's all in fun!)
8 slices bacon
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
4 thick slices firm white bread
8 tablespoons peanut butter
4 (1.5-ounce) slices Wisconsin Butterkäse cheese
2 to 3 bananas, sliced or chunked
1 cup hot fudge or chocolate sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place bacon slices on baking sheet pan with sides (jelly roll pan) and bake until lightly browned and starting to crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Brush hot bacon slices with mixture, using a pastry brush. Return to oven for another 5 to 6 minutes, turning once and being careful not to burn sugar. Remove to cooling rack and let cool.
- Heat griddle or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of bread slices. Spread other side with peanut butter. Top each slice, peanut butter-side up, with 1 Butterkäse slice and some banana slices. Place butter-side down on griddle and grill until sandwich bread bottoms are light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat chocolate sauce until warm. Dip each slice of bacon into warm chocolate to cover half of strip and place over bananas.
- To serve, drizzle sandwiches with additional chocolate sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.