Popularized by the movie "Sleepless In Seattle", this classic Italian dessert has since become an all-American favorite. Easy to assemble, this version requires no cooking.
2 1/2 cups coffee
10 tablespoons vanilla-flavored syrup (see note) - divided use
4 large egg yolks*
3 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 pound mascarpone cheese
4 packages lady fingers (1 dozen per package)
1 tablespoon NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- In a shallow dish mix coffee with 2 tablespoons of the vanilla syrup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until pale. Add mascarpone, one large spoonful at a time, mixing gently to keep the mixture light and airy. Add remaining vanilla syrup and mix in gently.
- Dip about half of the ladyfingers into coffee mixture and use to line the bottom of a 10-inch springform cake pan. Spoon half the mascarpone mixture on top and sprinkle with half of the cocoa powder. Repeat layers, ending with a sprinkling of cocoa powder on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. When ready to serve, release the springform and serve sliced from the metal base.
Makes 8 servings.
*We suggest using a pasteurized egg product for this recipe.
- Vanilla syrup can be bought in most specialty coffee shops and many supermarkets.
- For a more traditional, take on the recipe, substitute dry sherry for the vanilla syrup.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.