Very Berry Cobbler
The fruit bakes atop the batter, as the cobbler bakes the batter creeps up and around the fruit. This dessert also goes by the name "Creeping Crust Cobbler".
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
1 1/2 cups halved strawberries
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
- Melt butter in a shallow 8-inch square baking dish in a 350°F (175°C) oven.
- Combine blueberries and strawberries in a bowl; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon rind, and, if desired, cardamom. Toss to coat.
- Stir together remaining 1 cup sugar, walnuts, flour, and baking powder. Add milk, stirring until blended. Pour into baking dish; spoon berry mixture with juice into center of batter. (Do not stir.)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Makes 6 servings.