Dense textured, rum-flavored walnut torte filled with raspberry jam and sweetened whipped cream.
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
6 large eggs, separated - egg whites beaten until stiff
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) jar raspberry or apricot jam (or your choice)
2 1/2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan and dust with 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs and the walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and add the sugar. Beat until the mixture thickens. Add the rum and beat well. Fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fold in the walnut mixture in portions until all is incorporated.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. Release from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Split cake into two layers and spread 1/2 the jam and then 1/2 the whipped cream over the bottom layer. Place the top layer and repeat with remaining toppings. Chill for 1 hour or more before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.