Wisconsin Gouda and Apple Pastries
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely chopped to make 2 cup
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
8 slices Gouda cheese
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl, mix the apples, lemon juice, and zest.
- Combine the sugar/flour and apple mixtures.
- Carefully unfold the pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Brush lightly with water.
- With the short side of the pastry facing you, spoon the filling on the pastry and spread to within 2-inches of the short sides and to the edge of the long sides. Starting at the short side, roll like a jelly roll. Cut into 8 (approximately 1 1/2-inch) slices. Place 2-inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and place one slice of cheese on each pastry. Return to the oven just until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.