Sugar-Free Chocolate Éclairs
This terrific recipe for sugar-free chocolate éclairs was submitted by Lynn Todd of Hanford, California.
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter(no substitutes)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (1-ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup fat-free whipped topping
1 1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
1 (1.4-ounce) package sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- In a saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once, stirring until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag; seal.
- Cut a 1-inch hole in one corner of bag. Pipe eight 3 1/2-inch logs onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F (205°C); bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each to allow steam to escape; cool.
- Carefully cut off tops. Set the tops aside. Remove soft dough from the inside with a fork.
- For Vanilla Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat milk, vanilla and pudding on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Fold in whipped topping; set aside.
- For Chocolate Topping: In another mixing bowl, beat milk and chocolate pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon vanilla filling into éclairs; replace tops. Spread with chocolate topping.
Makes 8 éclairs
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 éclair): 170 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol. 418 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrates, trace fiber, 6 g protein. diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat.