Sweet Cream Puffs
Fill these small hollow pastry shells with a thick custard filling and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1/4 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup commercial chocolate sauce
- For Cream Puffs: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine water, salt, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until butter melts. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a smooth ball. The mixture resembles mashed potatoes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed with an electric mixer. Scrap down the sides of bowl occasionally and beat until batter is smooth.
- Spoon mixture heaping tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between puffs.
- Bake immediately for 35 minutes or until puffs are golden brown and have a crisp shell. (Do not open the oven door during the first 15 minutes of baking time.) Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- For Custard Filling Directions: Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 1 additional minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about ¼ the hot mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and strain mixture through a sieve; cover the surface of the custard with wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on the surface.
- Cut tops off and fill with 2 1/2 tablespoons custard; replace tops and drizzle with 1 tablespoon chocolate sauce. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Store baked unfilled cream puff shells in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 24 hours or freeze up to 2 months.
Makes 12 cream puffs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 cream puff): Calories 100 | Calories from Fat 60 | Fat 6g (sat 2.5g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 55mg | Carbohydrates 9g | Fiber 1g | Sugars 3g | Protein 1g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.