Tangy Lemon Squares
The traditional recipe minus 36% of the calories, these bars are tangy and rich in flavor, but not in fat or calories.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Equal® Spoonful*
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold stick butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup Equal® Spoonful**
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons stick butter, melted
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- For Crust: Combine flour, 1/3 cup Equal® and salt in medium bowl. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon lemon peel and vanilla. Mix with hands to form dough.
- Press dough evenly on bottom and 1/4-inch up sides of 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack.
- For Filling: Beat eggs and 3/4 cup Equal®. Mix in lemon juice, 4 tablespoons melted butter and 1 tablespoon lemon peel. Pour mixture into baked pastry.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into squares.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Makes 16 squares.
*May substitute 8 packets Equal sweetener.
**May substitute 18 packets Equal sweetener.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 squares): calories 95, protein 2 g, carbohydrate 5 g, fat 8 g, sodium 30 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.