Duck Breast on an
Orange Spiced Leek and Sweet Potato Purée
Sliced duck breast served on a bed of orange-spiced leek and sweet potato purée makes an elegant entrée.
2 duck breast halves
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 stalk of leeks
1-inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
Zest and juice of 1 orange
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Score the skin of 2 duck breast and pan fry the breast skin side down for 5 to 8 minutes until the fat starts to run out.
- Flip them and over and cook for 15 minutes with the skin side up.
- Next prepare the purée.
- Simmer sweet potatoes, that you have peeled and cut into large dice for 15 minutes until they just beginning to soften. Drain and mash to make a rough purée with a potato masher.
- Prepare 1 stalk of leeks, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch rounds.
- Peel and grate 1-inch piece fresh root ginger.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the fresh root ginger, the zest and juice from an orange, crushed garlic and a pinch of cloves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes without browning.
- Add the sweet potato mixture and leeks and then sauté.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the duck breasts into thin slices and fan them out onto a bed of the leek purée.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.