Vegetables roast alongside the duck in this one-pan recipe.
1 (4 to 5-pound) duck
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 to 4 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 yellow onion, quartered
6 to 8 red new potatoes, halved
- Remove the neck and giblets from the duck and discard. Rinse duck well inside and out and trim any excess fat from the carcass. Tuck the wings behind the back and place in a roasting pan. Prick the skin all over with the tines of a fork being careful not to pierce beyond the skin into the meat. Rub the legs and breast with the kosher salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Arrange the prepared vegetables around the duck in the roasting pan, placing a few vegetables beneath the duck to elevate it slightly. Place the pan in the center of the oven and immediately lower the heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Roast duck 45 minutes or until done. After 15 minutes of cooking, stir vegetables to coat with rendered fat and remove any additional fat from the pan with a spoon. Repeat this step two more times at 15 minute intervals. When the roasting time is completed, remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the roasted vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.