Roast Goose with Brandied Fruit Compote
Roast goose has been a holiday favorite for centuries. A spicy compote of poached dried fruit complements this succulent bird very nicely.
Brandied Fruit Compote:
2 cups water
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
5 whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 cup raisins
1 apple, thinly sliced
2 cups mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup brandy or orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (9 to 11-pounds) goose
Salt and ground black pepper
1 orange, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Prepare Brandied Fruit Compote; after stirring in brandy, cover and refrigerate as directed.
- For Brandied Fruit Compote: In a 3-quart pan, combine water, orange juice, honey, orange peel, allspice, ginger, and cinnamon stick. Stir in raisins, apple, and mixed dried fruit. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in brandy or orange juice. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until next day. Stir together 1/2 cup of the fruit liquid and cornstarch; then stir into fruit. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until thickened.
- Reserve goose neck and giblets for other uses, if desired. Pull off and discard lumps of fat. Rinse goose inside and out; pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and place orange and lemon slices in body and neck cavities.
- Place bird breast down and fasten neck skin to back with a long metal skewer, closing cavity securely. Then turn bird on its back. Tuck in tail,then fold skin over cavity; close with metal skewers. Prick skin all over at 1-inch intervals.
- Place goose, breast down, on a rack in a large, shallow roasting pan. Roast in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 1 hour. Every 30 minutes, siphon or spoon out fat from pan.
- After 1 hour, turn goose breast up. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C) and continue to roast until meat near thighbone is not longer pink, about 1 1/2 to 2 more hours; cut to test. Continue to siphon or spoon out fat from pan every 30 minutes.
- Reheat and thicken compote as directed. Spoon into a serving dish; let cool slightly. offer compote to spoon over goose.
Makes 8 servings.