Sweet and Sour Rabbit
Rabbit, like chicken, is a blank canvas that lends itself perfectly to rich and flavorful sauces, such as this sweet and sour pineapple sauce.
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
3 pounds rabbit
4 cups vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups pineapple juice - divided use
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Combine eggs, 1/4 cup flour, salt, and water in a bowl; mix well and chill for 1 hour.
- Debone the rabbit and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Coat the pieces with 1 cup flour then dip singly into the chilled batter.
- Deep-fry in oil at 375°F (190°C) until golden brown; drain.
- To prepare the sauce, heat 1 cup pineapple juice and sugar in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Stir in a mixture of cornstarch and 1/4 cup pineapple juice. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add crushed pineapple (drained), vinegar, and prepared mustard; mix well. Serve warm with the rabbit.
Makes 6 servings.