Valentine Duck with Mixed Berry Sauce
Roast duck served with a mixed berry wine sauce.
1 (4-pound) duck
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
5 ounces mixed berries, fresh or thawed
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Remove neck, heart, liver and kidney from duck; discard. Rinse with cold water inside and out. Prick skin all over with the tines of a fork. Place in a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out. Roast for 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and continue sautéing for another minute.
- Add berries and stir to coat. Pour in stock, wine and vinegar. Raise heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, slice each duck breast half as you would carve a turkey and fan out slices onto serving plates. Remove legs and place one on each plate. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Makes 4 servings.