Venison is very low in fat as is most wild game. Slow cooking is the cooking trick for these very lean cuts of meat.
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound venison steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon crushed oregano
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup sour cream
8 ounces egg noodles
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add venison cubes, seal and gently shake bag to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed stockpot on medium-high heat. Add venison and brown, turning to cook evenly.
- Add mushrooms and onion. Sauté until the onion is tender. Stir in tomato juice, water, oregano and bay leaf. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the venison is tender.
- Add celery and sour cream. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Serve over hot noodles.
Makes 6 servings.