Beer adds great flavor and puts the party in these savory appetizer meatballs!
2 slices of white bread, diced
1 (12-ounce) can beer, allowed to go flat
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup beef broth
- Soak the bread in the beer.
- Combine ground beef with mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and the beer-soaked bread. Mix well and form into small meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar and beef broth. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Drain the baked meatballs and add to the sauce and continue simmering for 20 minutes.
- Serve meatballs in sauce with cocktail picks.
Makes about 20 appetizer meatballs.