Cabbage and Meat Casserole
If you love cabbage rolls, then you'll love the flavor and ease of this tasty casserole layered with seasoned ground beef and pork, tender cabbage leaves and strips of smoked bacon.
1 head cabbage
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onions, peeled and chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
6 strips smoked bacon
- Bring a large kettle of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Core cabbage leaving head intact. Place cabbage in boiling water and simmer until leaves are soft and pliable, but still sturdy, about 7 minutes. Remove and drain. Gently pull off 12 outer leaves and set aside. Finely chop remaining cabbage.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until hot, but not smoking. Add onions, beef and pork. Cook until lightly browned; drain. Add chopped cabbage, caraway seed, salt and pepper; stir until well combined. Pour in white wine and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with remaining oil then line with half the cabbage leaves. Spoon meat mixture evenly over the top then cover with the rest of the cabbage. Arrange bacon on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.