"This throw-together casserole is fast and yummy. It is easy to make and goes with anything." Recipe submitted by Heather Hunt.
3 teaspoons butter or margarine - divided use
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 (8.5-ounce) packages corn muffin mix
6 tablespoons salsa
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (15-ounce) can cream style corn
1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn
8 (1-ounce) slices American cheese, halved diagonally
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Spread 2 teaspoons butter over bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Place in oven for about 4 minutes to melt butter; remove and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat; place 1 teaspoon butter into skillet; add onion, cooking until translucent. Add ground beef, cooking until browned. Drain fat; set aside.
- Mix corn muffin mix according to directions on box.
- Pour half of muffin mix into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle hamburger and onion mixture on top. Spoon salsa and tomatoes on top of hamburger evenly. Spoon cream-style corn on top; spread evenly, followed by whole kernel corn. Place cheese slices over corn to cover entire dish. Pour remaining corn bread mix over all.
- Baked for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Makes 6 servings.