Easy Taco Pizza
Weeknight easy, weekend worthy. This recipe combines two kid favorites - pizza and tacos. Invite children to help prepare the pizza or substitute mini pizza crusts and let family members create their own pizzas. Serve with a simple side of seasonal fruit kabobs.
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules or powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound ground pork
1 (6.5-ounce) package pizza crust mix
1 cup mild salsa, or your taste preference
2 cups colby Jack cheese
2/3 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
Sliced ripe olives
Diced or sliced avocado (optional)
- Combine all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and cook ground pork with seasoning mixture over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until pork is crumbly and no longer pink**. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare pizza crust according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Spread the pizza dough onto a greased 12-inch pizza pan and top with the salsa. Evenly distribute taco meat, cheese and tortilla chips on top.
- Bake pizza for 18 to 22 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Serve topped with shredded lettuce, olives and avocado (if using).
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Seasoning mix can be substituted with 1/2 of a 1.25 ounce package of taco seasoning (approximately 2 tablespoons).
**Ground pork is normally very lean and cooks without having excess grease to drain.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.