Grilled Polynesian Pork Quesadillas
Give quesadillas a grilled Caribbean twist.
1 pound lean ground pork
2 ounces chopped chorizo sausage
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place pork in large bowl; add chorizo, bacon, rum, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes and cloves. Mix well; cover and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- Prepare medium-hot fire in grill.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add pork mixture and cook and stir to cook pork mixture completely, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Divide tortillas into two batches; divide pork mixture evenly and spread over each of 6 tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese, coconut and pineapple. Top with second tortillas; brush with melted butter on both sides and grill directly over fire until cheese is melted and tortillas are crispy and browned. Turn carefully with large spatula.
- On serving plate, cut quesadillas into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 810 calories Protein 31 grams Fat 49 grams Sodium 1270 milligrams Cholesterol 100 milligrams Saturated Fat 20 grams Carbohydrates 59 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.