Hearty Cottage Pie
This dish is homey and satisfying, one can imagine cold, blustery days having supper around the fireplace.
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- Place potatoes in a medium-size saucepan with water to cover; add 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender when probed with a fork (15 to 20 minutes). Drain and reserve.
- Place butter and cream in a small saucepan, heat to a simmer (do not boil); remove from heat. Place reserve potatoes over low heat for 1 minute to dry. Remove from heat; mash with a masher or fork while adding warm cream mixture to potatoes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add meat, season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat; return pan to heat. Add mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and rosemary. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring gently to mix.
- Pour into prepared dish; top with mashed potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden.
Makes 6 servings.