Heavenly Beef Casserole
A hearty entrée that only needs a simple green salad to round out the meal.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) package thin egg noodles
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
6 green onions, finely chopped
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomato sauce, garlic, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to package directions; rinse with cold water and drain.
- Mix together sour cream, green onions and cream cheese until thoroughly combined while noodles cook; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In prepared baking dish, spread half the noodles, cover with half the cream cheese mixture and top with half the mozzarella. Cover with all the meat sauce. Put in remaining noodles, cream cheese mixture and mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Makes 6 servings.