Polish Sausage and Spaghetti in Beer
Kielbasa, caraway seed and beer add up to a hearty pasta dish with a Bavarian twist!
1 pound fully-cooked Kielbasa or smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup beer
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1/2 teaspoon granulated or brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
4 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the sausage until light brown. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add mushrooms,celery, green pepper and onion to Dutch oven. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain fat.
- Stir in beer, tomato sauce, water, parsley, sugar and caraway seed. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti, return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes more or until spaghetti is tender, but still firm to the bite. Add sausage; heat through.
- Serve in bowls and, if desired, pass the Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on individual servings.
Makes 4 servings.