Pork Stuffed Peppers
A terrific showcase for fresh bell peppers from the garden. A simple dish for a late summer meal. Complete with a fresh garden salad and bread sticks.
3 large bell peppers
1/4 cup raisins
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Remove tops, seeds, and membranes from peppers. Cut in half lengthwise. Cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Soak raisins in water 10 to 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Combine pork, onion, carrot, celery and salt in a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until pork is done and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain thoroughly.
- Add rice, sunflower kernels, yogurt and raisins; mix well.
- Spoon mixture into peppers. Place in a 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 218 calories Protein 18 grams Fat 8 grams Sodium 155 milligrams Cholesterol 56 milligrams.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.