Savory Sausage Balls with Bourbon Glaze
A wonderful addition to a party or holiday buffet served in a chafing dish. Or, serve these tasty meatballs to hungry sport fans for the next big gathering.
1 pound pork sausage
1 pound ground pork
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup fine dry plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3/4 cup apple jelly
6 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/3 cup bourbon or apple juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, using hands (Tip: wear disposable vinyl gloves) thoroughly combine sausage, pork, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, milk, ginger, pepper, cayenne, mace and allspice.
- Pat mixture evenly onto large piece of waxed paper, to a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut into 96 squares, round each square gently and place in shallow rimmed baking pans.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets and reserve.
- Meanwhile, stir together jelly, mustard, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce in large nonstick skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly melts and mixture comes to a boil. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Lower heat and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes until sauce thickens a bit and meatballs are coated.
Makes 96 meatballs.
Make-ahead tip: Complete recipe and refrigerate, covered, in shallow container. Reheat in microwave, in single layer, covered with waxed paper, for 2 to 3 minutes at 100% power. Or reheat in covered skillet over low flame on stovetop until heated through. Remove to heated chafing dish to serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 meatball): Calories 40 calories Protein 2 grams Fat 2 grams Sodium 90 milligrams Cholesterol 5 milligrams Saturated Fat 0 grams Carbohydrates 2 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.