Southwest Beef & Chili Pizza
This easy, fast and delicious ground beef chili pizza—with a Southwestern flair—was a 1997 National Beef Cook-Off winner.
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12-inch) pre-baked thick pizza crust
1 1/4 cups prepared thick and chunky salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, well drained
2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup thin red onion slivers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In large nonstick skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat 6 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink, breaking up into small crumbles. Pour off drippings. Season with salt.
- Place pizza crust on ungreased large baking sheet. Spread salsa over crust; sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with beef, chiles, tomatoes, onion and remaining cheese.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro; cut into 8 wedges. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 (2 slice) servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.