Spaghetti with Plum Tomato-Sausage Sauce
A quick and simple sauce cooked in under 30 minutes with the fresh herb seasonings going in last to ensure the infusion of maximum flavor. Adding fresh herbs earlier during cooking will result in the loss of their intense flavor. If at all possible, try to use imported Italian canned plum tomatoes for best results.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds bulk sweet or spicy Italian sausage*
2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
4 (14-ounce) cans plum (Roma) tomatoes, hand crushed, hard cores removed
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
6 to 8 large fresh basil leaves, torn
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 (16-ounce) package premium spaghetti pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for accompaniment (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until just translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sausage meat and garlic. Cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Add wine and mix well. Increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Boil until liquid has reduced slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the salt. Return to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and oregano. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.
- Return drained spaghetti to the pot, and place over medium-high heat. Stir in about 1/2 cup of the sauce, and gently toss together for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Ladle sauce over the top of individual servings of the pasta and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*Or about 6 links, casings removed and crumbled.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 435.7 calories; 24% calories from fat; 11.7g total fat; 25.5mg cholesterol; 980.5mg sodium; 683.1mg potassium; 53.4g carbohydrates; 3.3g fiber; 5.5g sugar; 50.1g net carbs; 22.7g protein.