Spicy Italian Sausage Pie
Not into spicy heat? This tasty recipe can be tamed by using mild Italian sausage instead.
1 (9-inch) homemade, refrigerated or frozen pie crust
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
3/4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil and oregano
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups Wisconsin Mozzarella or Provolone Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Wisconsin Parmesan or Asiago Cheese, grated
4 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place crust in 9-inch pie pan. Prick bottom of crust with fork. Line crust with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven; remove foil. Return to oven until crust is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sausage, crumbling well. Cook through. Drain excess grease, if necessary.
- Add peppers, onions, herbs and pepper; cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon sausage mixture into baked pie shell. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Whisk eggs and milk in bowl. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake until egg mixture is set, puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool before slicing.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.