Stuffed Zucchini Casserole
Zucchini is a summer garden favorite; there's plenty to go around and this dish allows you to make good use of the bounty. Filled with a savory mixture of beef and herbs it makes a zesty casserole.
6 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cook zucchini in boiling water to cover for about 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain and remove from saucepan; cool zucchini on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile sauté ground beef, green bell pepper, onion, and garlic until brown. Drain. Add salt, oregano and pepper.
- Scoop out the cooked zucchini pulp leaving about 1/4-inch of flesh; place pulp into a mixing bowl. Add egg to pulp; mix well and add the meat mixture.
- Stuff the zucchini shells with the mixture and arrange in prepared baking dish. Top with slices of tomato; sprinkle with crushed crackers and cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.