Triple Cheese Burgers
Cheese-stuffed ground beef patties, simmered in a savory tomato sauce, are topped with American processed cheese and served on toasted hamburger buns.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
6 tablespoons cottage cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
6 ounces processed cheese spread, sliced
6 hamburger buns
- Mix together ground beef, dry bread crumbs, chopped onion, egg, salt, Worcestershire sauce, basil, pepper, and garlic salt. Shape the mixture into 12 thin patties, each about 4-inches in diameter. Divide cottage cheese on top of the patties, spreading to within 1/2-inch of the edge. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese among the patties, then top each with one of the remaining patties; sealing the edges firmly.
- Brown patties in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, turning once; drain.
- Pour tomato sauce over the patties. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Place sliced processed cheese spread on top of each patty, cover, and heat until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve topped with the remaining sauce in the skillet on hamburger buns.
Makes 6 servings.