Ballot Box Brownies
Promote civic duty with brownies decorated with a "VOTE" theme in red, white and blue icing.
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red, white, blue decorating icing in tube or can
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan; add cocoa, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla; beat with spoon until thoroughly combined. Add flour and baking powder; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until top is dry and brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost, if desired. Cut into bars.
- Garnish with Vote theme, using red, white and blue icing.
- For Chocolate Frosting: Beat butter in small bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Stir in vanilla. Makes about 1 cup frosting.
Makes 24 brownies.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.