Brownie Caramel Pecan Bars
Chewy chocolatey brownies with a luscious soft caramel pecan topping.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons water
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - divided use
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
CARAMEL TOPPING (recipe follows)
1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan; grease and flour foil.
- Combine sugar, butter and water in medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat; immediately add 1 cup chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- While brownies are baking, prepare CARAMEL TOPPING.
- Remove brownies from oven; immediately and carefully spread with caramel topping.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup chips and pecans over topping; lightly press into topping. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, being careful not to disturb chips while soft. Lift out of pan; cut into bars.
Makes about 16 bars.
CARAMEL TOPPING: Remove wrappers from 25 caramel candies. Combine 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, caramels and 1 tablespoon milk in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. Microwave an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Use immediately.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.