Chocolate Almond Macaroon Bars
These scrumptious bars feature a chocolate wafer crumb crust topped with a moist and chewy coconut filling laced with toasted almond slices and topped with a semisweet chocolate ganache garnished with mini white chips.
2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3 3/4 cups MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 cup almond slices, toasted* (optional)
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips (mini)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Combine chocolate wafer crumbs, melted butter and sugar in large bowl. Firmly press crumb mixture on bottom of prepared pan.
- Stir together sweetened condensed milk, coconut and almonds in large bowl, mixing well. Carefully drop mixture by spoonfuls over crust; spread evenly.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until coconut edges just begin to brown. Cool.
- Place chocolate chips and whipping cream in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool until slightly thickened; spread over cooled bars.
- Sprinkle top with white chips. Cover; refrigerate several hours or until thoroughly chilled. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 36 bars.
*To toast almonds: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spread almonds evenly on shallow baking sheet. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.