Chocolate Chip Candy Cookie Bars
Yummy cookie bars topped with chocolate chips and a candied glaze with almond slices.
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cold butter or margarine - divided use
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (5-ounce can) evaporated milk - divided use
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - divided use
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and baking powder; cut in 1/2 cup butter with pastry blender until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Stir in egg and 2 tablespoons evaporated milk; stir until mixture holds together in ball shape. Press onto bottom and 1/4-inch up sides of 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from oven, leaving oven on.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips evenly over crust; do NOT disturb chips.
- In 3-quart saucepan, place remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, remaining 1/2 cup butter, remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; stir in almonds. Continue cooking and stirring to 240°F on candy thermometer (soft-ball stage) or until mixture, when dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from water. Remove from heat. Immediately spoon almond mixture evenly over chips and crust; do NOT spread.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or just until almond mixture is golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips; cool completely. Cut into bars.
Makes 48 bars.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.