Double-Decker Cereal Treats
Double-decker crispy rice treats, one layer flavored with peanut butter chips and one layer with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 cups light corn syrup
1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
12 cups crisp rice cereal - divided use
- Line 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; extending foil over edges of pan.
- Place peanut butter chips, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl.
- Place chocolate chips and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla in second large bowl.
- In large saucepan, stir together corn syrup and brown sugar; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full, rolling boil. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir half of hot mixture into each bowl; stir each mixture until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Immediately stir 6 cups rice cereal into each mixture.
- Spread peanut butter mixture into prepared pan; spread chocolate mixture over top of peanut butter layer. Cool completely.
- Use foil to lift treats out of pan; peel off foil. Cut treat into bars. Store in tightly covered container in cool dry place.
Makes about 6 dozen pieces.
MICROWAVE INSTRUCTIONS: Place peanut butter chips, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl. In second large bowl, place chocolate chips and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. In 4-quart microwave-safe bowl, stir together corn syrup and brown sugar. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 5 to 6 minutes, stirring each minute, until mixture boils. Immediately stir half of mixture into each reserved bowl; proceed as directed above.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.