Fudgey Almond Bars
A buttery shortbread crust is topped with a fudgey nut filling. As these bars bake, the chopped nuts in the filling rise to the top to form a nutty crust.
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 1/4 cups almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped*
1/2 cup hot water
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat 3/4 cup butter and powdered sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add flour; mix well.
- Press mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over low heat, melt 1/3 cup butter; stir in cocoa. Remove from heat; stir in sweetened condensed milk, almonds, water, eggs, almond extract and salt.
- Pour evenly over prepared crust. Return to oven.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Cover; store in refrigerator.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
*To toast almonds: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.