Mocha Bran Brownies
Chewy mocha bran brownies topped with mocha frosting.
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed oat bran flakes cereal
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon powdered instant coffee
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 1/2 tablespoons softened butter or margarine
2 teaspoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon strong coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate chips and butter. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute or until chips are melted and smooth when stirred; if necessary, microwave at HIGH additional 20 seconds. Stir in sugar until blended; add eggs and vanilla, beating until well blended.
- In medium bowl, stir together cereal and water; let stand several minutes. Gradually stir chocolate mixture into bran mixture.
- Stir together flour, instant coffee, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or just until center is set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost with Mocha Frosting; cut into squares.
- For Mocha Frosting: In small mixer bowl, beat butter and cocoa. Stir together powdered sugar, coffee and vanilla; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until of spreading consistency. Makes about 1 cup frosting.
Makes about 16 squares.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.