A chocolate cookie layer is topped with apricot preserves, a satiny chocolate glaze and garnished with sliced almonds.
1 cup butter or margarine
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apricot or seedless black raspberry preserves
Satiny Chocolate Glaze:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with wax paper or foil.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add sugar and cocoa; stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating until well blended.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool 10 minutes.
- Invert onto cookie sheet. Carefully peel off paper. Cool thoroughly.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise, forming 4 rectangles.
- Spread preserves over two rectangles. Top with remaining two rectangles. Cut into squares, about 1 1/2-inches; place on wire rack with wax paper beneath to catch drips while glazing.
- Prepare Satiny Chocolate Glaze. Spoon glaze over each square, allowing glaze to drizzle down sides.
- For Satiny Chocolate Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth. Add additional water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. Makes about 3/4 cup glaze.
- Garnish with almonds.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen squares.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.