Cheery Cranberry Chocolate Chip Bread
The perfect quick bread recipe for gift-giving. An orange-scented loaf containing chopped cranberries, pecans and semisweet chocolate chips with a drizzle of cocoa glaze. This recipe makes three loaves.
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pecan pieces
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3/4 cup orange juice
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Cocoa Drizzle Glaze:
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2-inch miniature loaf pans.
- Stir together chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans and orange peel in small bowl; set aside.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; with pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in orange juice, egg and reserved chocolate chip mixture just until moistened; divide evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Drizzle Cocoa Drizzle Glaze over top.
- For Cocoa Drizzle Glaze: Microwave butter in small microwave-safe bowl at HIGH (100%) 20 to 30 seconds until melted. Stir in cocoa and water. Microwave at HIGH 15 to 30 seconds or just until mixture is hot, slightly thickened and smooth when stirred. Do not boil. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth. If necessary, add additional water, a few drops at a time, until of desired consistency. Makes about 1/4 cup glaze.
Makes 3 loaves.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.