Chocolate Almond Torte
A chocolate almond torte filled with a kirsch-kissed and candied cherry cream, topped with a chocolate glaze and a garnish of sliced almonds and maraschino cherries.
4 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 cup ground blanched almonds
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cold whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kirsch (cherry brandy) or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup chopped red candied cherries
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced almonds, maraschino cherries or candied cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease bottoms of three 8-inch round baking pans. Line bottoms with wax paper; grease paper.
- Beat egg yolks on medium speed of mixer 3 minutes in medium bowl. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar; continue beating 2 minutes.
- Stir together almonds, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with water to egg yolk mixture, beating on low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold small amount beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold chocolate mixture into remaining whites just until blended.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare Cherry Filling. Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread half of filling over top. Repeat, ending with plain layer on top.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze; spread on top of cake, allowing glaze to run down sides. Garnish with almonds and cherry halves. Refrigerate until glaze is set. Cover; refrigerate leftover torte.
- For Cherry Filling: Beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and brandy until stiff; fold in cherries. Makes about 2 cups filling.
- For Chocolate Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth and of spreading consistency. Add additional water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, if needed. Makes about 3/4 cup glaze.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.