Chocolate Barbeque Grill Cake
A fun cake to bring out at picnics and backyard barbecues.
1 cup water
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup dairy sour cream
2/3 cup REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips
1 teaspoon solid vegetable shortening
Cocoa Fudge "Burgers" (recipe follows, optional)
Fruit shaped gumdrop candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil; grease and flour sides and bottom.
- Place water, butter and cocoa in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, sour cream and cocoa mixture; beat just until blended (batter will be thin). Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack. Carefully invert cake onto serving tray; peel off foil.
- Place peanut butter chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 to 45 seconds or until mixture is melted when stirred. Place mixture in recloseable small plastic bag; cut off tiny section of corner. Squeeze mixture onto cake, forming grids like top of grill: allow to firm up before cutting. Top with "Burgers" and "Shish-Kabobs", if desired.
Makes 15 servings.
Cocoa Fudge " Burgers": Beat 1/4 cup softened butter or margarine in medium bowl; add 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until all ingredients are moistened and consistency to form patties; add additional milk or powdered sugar, if necessary, to get proper consistency. Form "patties"; place on top of cake.
"Shish-Kabobs": Place red, green, and tan colored jelly candies on plastic decorative skewers to form shish-kabobs, if desired. Place on top of cake.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.