Chocolate Glazed Citrus Poppy Seed Cake
This cake-mix easy lemon poppy seed cake is frosted with a chocolate-citrus glaze.
1 (18.25-ounce) package lemon cake mix
1/3 cup poppy seed
1/3 cup milk
3 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) container plain lowfat yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
Chocolate Citrus Glaze:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 12 cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- Combine cake mix, poppy seed, milk, eggs, yogurt and lemon peel in large bowl; beat until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Citrus Glaze; spoon over cake, allowing glaze to run down sides.
- For Chocolate Citrus Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. With whisk, stir in cocoa and water until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in liqueur, if desired, orange extract and 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth. If glaze is too thin, whisk in remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Use immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.