Chocolate Syrup Swirl Cake
Chocolate syrup is an easy way to flavor and tint part of the batter in this marble cake.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup HERSHEY'S Chocolate Syrup
1 cup MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together flour,1 teaspoon baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
- Measure 2 cups batter in small bowl; stir in syrup and remaining 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add coconut, if desired, to remaining batter; pour into prepared pan. Pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter in pan; do not mix.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely; glaze or frost as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.