Cocoa Marble Gingerbread
Two popular flavors in one cake—gingerbread with swirls of chocolate cake—make a deliciously unique holiday dessert.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light molasses
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Beat shortening, sugar and molasses in large bowl until blended. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir baking soda into boiling water to dissolve; add to shortening mixture alternately with flour and salt.
- Remove 2 cups batter to medium bowl; add cocoa, blending well.
- Add the next four ingredients (spices) to remaining batter in large bowl.
- Alternately spoon batters into prepared pan; swirl gently through batter with narrow spatula or knife for marbled effect.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.