Cocoa Oatmeal Cake
A cocoa-flavored oatmeal cake with chopped apple and nuts, and topped with a vanilla glaze.
1 1/3 cups boiling water
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped, peeled apple
1 cup chopped nuts
Vanilla Glaze (recipe follows)
- Pour boiling water over oats in medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and eggs in large bowl until fluffy; stir in oat mixture.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in apple and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Drizzle Vanilla Glaze over top in decorative design.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
Vanilla Glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon softened butter or margarine, 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl; beat with spoon or whisk until smooth and of desired consistency.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.