Double Chocolate Cocoa Cupcakes
Easy, homemade chocolate cocoa cupcakes, loaded with mini chocolate chips and topped with a simple chocolate drizzle.
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - divided use
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
Powdered sugar (garnish)
Chocolate Drizzle (optional, recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line muffin cups (2 1/2-inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.
- Reserve 1/4 cup small chocolate chips for drizzle, if desired.
- Beat shortening and granulated sugar in large bowl until fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to shortening mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in 1 3/4 cups small chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cupcake springs back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Sift powdered sugar over top of cupcakes.
- Prepare Chocolate Drizzle, if desired. Drizzle over tops of cupcakes.
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes.
Chocolate Drizzle: Place 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (reserved from cupcakes) and 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and smooth when stirred.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.