Lighter-Than-Spring Chocolate Torte
A delicious low-fat chocolate two-layer cake filled and topped with a creamy chocolate filling.
1/3 cup (56 to 60%) vegetable oil spread, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons frozen egg substitute, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 (1.3 ounce) envelope dry whipped topping mix
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutched Cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round layer pans; line bottoms with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.
- Beat vegetable oil spread and sugar until well blended; add egg substitute and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add alternately with milk to sugar mixture, beating well.
- Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool in pans 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Filling; spread half of filling on top of each layer. Stack layers; cover and refrigerate. Refrigerate leftover cake.
- For Chocolate Filling: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 2 minutes to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin dissolves and mixture is clear. Cool 10 minutes. Beat topping mix, sugar, cocoa (plus skim milk and vanilla as directed on package of whipped topping) in small bowl until topping thickens. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until blended and stiffened. Use immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.